The ROSCO Award for Innovation in Road Safety
This award will go to the organisation, operator or employee who, in the opinion of the judges, has made the most innovative contribution towards safe driving during the past year.
Winner, Gold Award: Anthony's Travel
Safety as Standard
'Safety as Standard' is the phrase that describes Runcorn based Anthony's Travel. Despite being a small company, Anthony's realises the advantages to be gained from investment in technology and training to create a safer environment for its staff, customers and other road users. Two examples are in 2003 when the company was one of the first coach operators to introduce vehicle trackers, and four years later it was among the first to install multi-camera CCTV systems on its coaches, something was already very common in the bus industry. Last year, after the passenger transport industry had been identified as being venerable to terrorist attack, a number of Anthony's staff were trained to deliver a terrorism awareness course to the rest of the team.
The judges praised the way that Anthony's Travel has engendered the safety culture in every area if the business. They were impressed with how a small business was able to be at the forefront of innovations and that expenditure on additional safety and training is seen as much a standard part of the business as, in the words of the company "as standard a part as the wheels on the vehicle!"
Who could be nominated?
This category was open to authorities, coach operators, individual managers or licensed PCV drivers.
… and by whom?
We welcomed nominations from employers, customers and organisations campaigning or promoting safety and safe driving. Self-nomination was acceptable.
Criteria and Entry Requirements
The award will be based on the quality of the information supplied. The information should:
- Describe the contribution made to safe driving by the individual or initiative
- State how the initiative was executed, showing the methods used and why
- Supply evidence showing the results or improvements made to safe driving
- State whether the results are likely to be sustainable and how they might be more widely applied in the industry
- Describe any future plans for further development.
- Supply appropriate examples of the any materials used in any campaign or initiative associated with the nomination.