Young Coach Industry Professional
This category recognises young managers involved in coaching and coach tourism who can demonstrate a proven record of commitment and success.
Winner, Gold Award: Peter Knight
Scottish Citylink Coaches
Peter Knight is Operations Director of Scottish Citylink Coaches, having joined nearly two years ago from megabus.com Italy. He joined Stagecoach as a graduate trainee over seven years ago has worked in various roles in the UK Bus division in different locations, demonstrating his flexibility and ability to manage and lead various teams and businesses. Peter currently leads a team of 150 staff who deliver a national coach network in Scotland under the Citylink, Citylink Gold and megabus.com brands. He has demonstrated excellent staff and stakeholder engagement to deliver tangible business improvements throughout last year, whilst focussing on business KPIs and finances to deliver improvements in passenger experience, service delivery and financial success. Peter is a strong leader of the Citylink business, who leads from the front whilst giving those around him the support and strength to deliver and perform.
Despite receiving several nominations in this category, the judges thought that one entry was so far ahead of all the others, that only one award should be made this year. Although having only been with Stagecoach's Scottish Citylink division for two years, the judges thought that Peter has made a big impact delivering tangible benefits across the business. These have included the development of the Gold services, a route upgrade to 24/7 operation and leading the deployment of new ticket machines. He's also brought the division closer to its commercial team based in England, introduced of a new livery and a published a new tourist guide to scenic bus routes in the west of Scotland. Peter is a very worthy Gold Winner.
Who could be nominated?
People aged 30 or less on 30 September 2017, who exercise management responsibility in:
- the provision of coach services including charter, tours, contracts or scheduled services
- services sold mainly or solely to coach operators.
To be eligible, nominees must:
- lead an organisation or major business unit in a professional capacity
- own and operate their own business employing more than five people
- have worked in their current capacity for a continuous period of twelve months ended 30 September 2015.
and by whom?
We welcomed nominations from all eligible organisations, both of their own employees and of outstanding young managers with whom they work in partnership or as stakeholders. Self-nomination is NOT appropriate for this category.
Criteria and Entry Requirements
The judges reached their decision on the quality of the written submissions made by the nominating organisation.
Nominating organisations must be able to demonstrate that the nominees have shown excellence in management and leadership and that this has been recognised by them. Nominations must be able to demonstrate that the nominee has:
- An ability to manage complex tasks, people, processes and the environment in which their organisation operates
- Effective communication skills with both staff and stakeholders
- A commitment to mentoring or other leadership activities
- Demonstrable ability to perform to a budget.