Coach operators and their staff from North West England are celebrating after being named as winners in the 2018 UK Coach Awards. The tenth annual awards were presented before an audience of some 300 people in a glittering ceremony at Viva Blackpool, the resort's stunning Vegas-style venue, on the evening of Thursday 10 May.
Local winners from the North West region were:
- Belle Vue Manchester
- Leigh Olsen, Winner, Gold Award, Customer Service Award
- Reece Deakins, Winner, Gold Award, Support Staff Award
- Robert Gill, Winner, Silver Award, Top UK Coach Driver
- George Docherty Winner, Silver Award, Unsung Heroes Award
- Ellen Smith (Tours),www.ellensmith.co.uk
- Winner, Gold Award, Digital Communications Award
- Carnforth Station Heritage Centre & Leighton Hall
- Winner Bronze Award, Making Coaches a Better Choice, for A Brief Encounter with Leighton Hall
- Alfa Coaches
- Shaun Raven, Winner, Bronze Award, Top UK Coach Driver
The awards were hosted and presented by Carol Kirkwood from BBC Breakfast, a great favourite with the coach industry, who was making her tenth appearance at the ceremony.
Congratulating all the winners, UK Coach Awards chairman John Gilbert said, "Our awards are all about recognising and rewarding excellence at all levels in the industry, amongst all operators, large or small, and in all types of work from express through contracting to coach touring." Awards were presented for high quality operation, and for a range of professional disciplines such marketing, web site design, travel programmes and passenger facilities.
“Coaching is above all a people business,” explained John Gilbert. “In order to deliver the improved quality and high standards that our customers demand, we need to recruit train and retain excellent staff. Recognising and rewarding our people is vital to retaining and motivating them. We at UK Coach Awards aim to do precisely that, which is why we have such an important part to play in the drive for quality and excellence in our industry.”