This category recognises projects or initiatives designed to make coach travel more accessible to those with some form of mobility handicap.
This could include people who are visually or aurally impaired as well as customers who have difficulty walking or need to use a wheelchair.
- Bugler Coaches Limited of Bristol, for their work in providing accessible coaches and tours
- National Express Limited, for their coach accessibility programme
- Bond Accessible Coaches, for their programme to provide accessible holidays on the Fylde Coast
Who could be nominated?
The award was open to operators, authorities, partnerships, suppliers or other organisations.
… and by whom?
Nominations were accepted from all eligible organisations, and self-nomination is acceptable.
Criteria and Entry Requirements
The award will be won by a project, or a change in practice, designed to improve accessibility for any group of people. The entry must demonstrate the improvements gained, that the project goes beyond minimum statutory requirements and that it is supported by endorsements from those who benefit most.
Entries will be ranked on the basis of the submissions made, which need to:
- Describe the problem(s) that the project was designed to solve.
- Describe the project and how it was implemented, including staff training and development, and explain why this solution was chosen.
- Explain the extent to which disabled people or their representatives were involved in developing the project
- State how the project or service was communicated (marketed) to the target group(s)
- Indicate the methods used to monitor the impact of the project, and any changes to the project made as a result of the monitoring.
- Supply evidence showing the results of the project in terms of patronage or other appropriate indicators.
- State whether the results likely to be sustainable
- Describe the organisation’s accessibility policy and/or codes of practice for serving customers with disabilities, and how the policies are monitored
- Describe how staff are involved in developing and implementing accessibility policies including training and feedback.
- Describe any future plans for further development.
- Include any relevant supporting material.