This Award is designed to recognise excellence in branding over a sustained period that is likely to be measured in years rather than weeks. Operators seeking to nominate more short-term initiatives were encouraged to enter for the Coach Marketing Award.
The Award will go to the organisation that best demonstrates how a strong, consistent and high-quality branding strategy, consistently applied over time, has driven business improvement, generated extra business and captured new customers.
The winner of this Award will be able to show that this sustained approach has:
- Created or developed strong brand awareness
- Helped to change public perceptions and/or consumer behaviour
- Genuinely driven all aspects of the business, including:
- customer service
- staff training
- management and supervision.
The important thing is that the winner can demonstrate a commitment to the development and promotion of a strong and consistent brand over a sustained period.
Winner, Gold Award: Belle Vue Manchester
Transport Suppliers to Education across Greater Manchester
Belle Vue says that its mission is to transform transport for education across Greater Manchester. It has invested a lot in new vehicles and technology as well as all the risk assessments and other paperwork schools need to complete before undertaking trips. It has created a strong brand, with bright yellow vehicles for schools work with a red black and white livery on vehicles used for corporate work. The marketing and branding techniques used have brought success for Belle Vue with lots of new business and retention of exiting contracts.
The judges commented that the company's future plans seem strong and realistic and were particularly impressed with Belle Vue's success in raising standards in what is a difficult market.
Winner, Silver Award: Anthony's Travel
Brand Anthony's is all about making the name Anthony's synonymous with coach travel in its home area around Runcorn in Cheshire. The company uses a wide variety of techniques from distributing branded clothing and car stickers to a competition for schools. It also makes extensive use of social media and video content.
The judges commented on the wide variety of channels Anthony's uses to promote itself. Its family image works well and demonstrates that good branding reflects the organisation well.
Winner, Bronze Award: BusyBus
'BusyBus is about fun,' the company says, and it has created a strong brand image which reflects this. Based in Cheshire, the company is hoping to exploit its strong brand to create a franchise business this year with the aim of attracting 10 franchisees across the UK by the end of next year.
The judges commented that BusyBus had showed an understanding of what a brand is and had produced something that stands out in the market.
Who could be nominated?
The award was open to coach operators who are holders of a UK Operators’ Licence.
… and by whom?
We welcomed nominations from customers, marketing practitioners or coach operators. Self-nomination was acceptable.
Criteria and Entry Requirements
The judges based their decision on the quality of the submissions made, which needed to:
- Describe the strategic objectives and describe how branding drives the achievement of these
- Provide evidence of any initial and ongoing customer research (including methodology and results)
- State how the branding strategy was implemented and the how the workforce was involved and empowered
- Describe the promotional campaigns implemented, showing:
- methods used and the reasons for their use
- how demand was stimulated
- how customer access to the product improved
- how potential customers were identified and informed
- Describe how the impacts of the campaigns were monitored and measured
- Describe any changes to the campaigns or the overall business strategy made as a result of the monitoring
- Supply statistical evidence showing the results of the strategy and the campaigns in terms of patronage, revenue or other appropriate indicators
- Supply appropriate examples of campaign materials that delivered the reported results
- Describe any future plans for further development
- Include any relevant supporting material.